There are only two ways to complete freight shipping: the right way, and the wrong way. Cookie cutter solutions are hard to apply to shipping needs, because there are so many different types of cargo to get shipped. Less than load (LTL) freight transportation is one shipping option that many organizations use to great success. It all starts with working collaboratively with professional LTL trucking companies.
The Challenges Of LTL Shipping
Canadian LTL carriers and similar operations across North America face the same challenges.
- With less than truckload shipping, it’s harder to deliver the fastest shipping service; this can be a dealbreaker for many companies trying to push goods through the supply chain as quickly as possible. Every LTL load contains goods from multiple companies often going to multiple destinations; if your goods are the first ones on and the last ones off, you’re going to have to provide full transparency about the time it will take to move your goods to their ultimate destination.
- Not all carriers offer LTL shipping, so you’re going to have to work with a 3PL that has a large network of LTL trucking companies to work with.
- Canadian LTL carriers understand that LTL shipping requires a lot of detail work. Following freight class, weight, pickup and delivery destinations, costs, timing, and packing are all important factors to consider when recommending less than truckload shipping as the best option.
Benefits and Best Practices for Canadian LTL Carriers
LTL trucking companies strive to optimize their loads by moving many different goods from multiple shippers at the same time. Combing partial loads into full multi-stop shipments helps maximize space while providing other benefits as well, including:
- Reducing costs for all shippers involved in the load. A business with low-volume shipping requirements that isn’t time sensitive can reap the cost-saving benefits of using LTL trucking companies. Each individual company only pays for the space being taken up by their own goods and not the entire shipment. This can be an immeasurable benefit to start-ups and small business.
- In a world obsessed with climate change, knowing that LTL freight shipping helps reduce a carbon footprint is important to many shippers. Knowing that transport trucks aren’t carrying one tiny skid at a time is important to companies looking for green solutions in every aspect of their business.
- Less than truckload shipping is an ideal way for small business to deliver goods without having to pay for the internal infrastructure required to do so. No operating their own fleets, no paying for the staff and experienced drivers – contracting LTL trucking companies through a 3PL provider is simply a cost-effective way to handle shipping needs.
Work With NATS Canada to Maximize Your LTL Shipping
The logistics every shipper faces when moving freight that’s more than a few pallets but less than an entire truckload is a common reason to work with a 3PL like NATS Canada. Our network of carriers can help ensure you get the shipping choices you need.