A simple search for an epic truck fails and you’re bound to see some heavy haulers encountering “issues” with their oversized loads. There’s no question that hauling shipments of unusually large and wide dimensions or extreme weight presents issues for truck drivers, companies, and shippers. Reducing the stress involved takes expertise you can only find by contracting oversize load trucking companies.
Minimize the Stress and Maximize Safety with These Trucking Tips
Heavy equipment shipping of large manufacturing equipment, machinery, vehicles, or industrial parts is a specialty that only heavy equipment hauling companies can manage. Such land transport activity takes skilled drivers, special equipment, and logistics expertise. Here are a few suggested tips suggested by top oversize load trucking companies to help mitigate risk, securing steel loads safely and reduce the stress involved in moving loads across land:
- Start by working with those heavy equipment hauling companies that have experience and a reputation for executing safe transport. Find a reliable 3PL provider like NATS Canada that can work with a vast network of haulers experienced in handling a variety of different loads. Always check to ensure there are no claims against them, their insurance is valid, and they are up to date on all regulatory regional, provincial, state, and national guidelines related to heavy equipment shipping.
- Measure all relevant dimensions accurately. Reputable oversize load trucking companies understand that no job can be conducted in a safe manner without proper determination of width, height, length, and weight. Permits are given based on these measurements, and transporting any load that doesn’t comply with what’s indicated on the permit may not be insured if there’s a problem. Any change in dimension may require a change in route or the cost of transporting such loads.
- Determine the best method of loading and unloading. Oversized loads present a challenge even though they’re being loaded onto flatbeds which are generally easy to load. Depending on the size and weight, loading may involve a forklift or a heavy-lift crane. Such equipment will have to be available at both ends of the trip. There could be extra costs involved to facilitate such loading and unloading requirements.
- Safety helps reduce stress, so that means any load will have to be properly secured for transport. That will require any combination of bracing, tarping, tied downs, and requisite flags to accompany the load.
- Mapping is critical. Using an experienced 3PL with knowledge of potential routes can bring peace of mind to the project. However, even the best laid plans can hit a snag; no one can predict traffic chaos related to accidents. Planning has to acknowledge all obstacles and include a secondary route should the primary route be blocked. Support vehicles including pilot cars and chase cars may be necessary to guide the load safely along public roads and highways. Train tracks, bridges, and tight turns must be accounted for. Weather can also present its own challenges. Proper planning is required to ensure safety at all times.
Arrange Stress-Free Transport with NATS Canada
As an experienced 3PL provider, NATS Canada can ensure safe facilitation of all types of heavy equipment shipping needs.